Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Interesting, maybe that could be it, but I did have a decent amount of oil on the threads of plug #2 as well, not nearly as much as #4, but still present.
#2 could possibly be some left over from before the VCG. I know when I did my VCG, I cleaned up all the oil in the plug valleys. So you can always check later since you replaced the plugs and that will tell you if you have something still leaking. Mine was leaking as I had a ton of oil in #4, but never enough to throw a code or cause issues.

But with #4...usually it's a VVT Gasket or maybe someone putting oil in the engine if you don't do your own oil changes missed the hole a little.

But there is a guy on the E90 forum who has had his VVT gasket leak on him even after replacing it 3 times in about a 6 month time frame. I think he eventually stopped it by using Ultra-Black RTV on both the gasket side and the motor side.

It's an easy replacement, just don't force the VVT motor out. There are DIY's everywhere on replacing the gasket.
Awesome thanks for the info. This hasn't caused any issues for me either, but I'll check the plugs again in a month or so, and if there is more oil then I will definitely look into fixing it.

Also the leftover oil theory would explain why the oil on #2 was black, but #4 was more brown/yellow since the oil was changed a few weeks back.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00