View Single Post
      05-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

A Question of Polarization

Daylight is unpolarized. Daylight can be horizontally polarized by reflection from horizontal surfaces, so the resulting glare is primarily horizontally polarized. Polarized sunglasses removes glare by absorbing the incoming horizontally polarized light, while allowing other orientations to pass.

LCD and TFT displays incorporate polarizing filters to control the display output, so the resulting images are polarized in a direction defined by their construction. The angle of polarization can be checked by viewing the display through a polarizing lens and by rotating the lens until the displayed image darkens or disappears. I have checked the centre console, nav and HVAC displays on an ’08 BMW 135i and an ’11 BMW 328i and found that the displays are polarized at 45° so they are visible through polarized sunglasses worn normally. Same for an ’08 Porsche Cayman console, HVAC and radio and the LCD displays on my desktop. The radio display on the BMW 135i is horizontally polarized so is not visible through polarized sunglasses worn normally.

I have a couple of portable Garmin GPS nav units. Their displays do not appear to be polarized as they are visible through polarized sunglasses at all orientations. Same for my iPhone.

The front facing display on my AiM SmartyCam HD rev 2.1 is polarized at 45° so is visible through polarized sunglasses worn normally.

Name:  SC at 0.JPG
Views: 2195
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  SC at 45.JPG
Views: 2188
Size:  70.9 KB

The display on my AiM Solo DL is polarized vertically so is visible through polarized sunglasses worn normally.

Name:  DL at 0.JPG
Views: 2184
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  DL at 90.JPG
Views: 2253
Size:  96.3 KB

The display on my AiM MXS 1.2 is polarized horizontally so is NOT visible through polarized sunglasses worn normally.

Name:  MXS at 0.JPG
Views: 2245
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  MXS at 90.JPG
Views: 2643
Size:  86.2 KB

A secondary display that is not visible through polarized sunglasses is a minor annoyance. A dash logger that is not visible through polarized sunglasses seems like a serious design flaw, particularly when the manufacturer has implemented viable solutions in their related products.
Appreciate 1
asbrr544.50