04-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #267
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The NA 6 is being replaced with a turbo 4.

Get a manual. She'll suffer for a month or two to be happier for years after.
Or he'll suffer because the wifey will not like it. In my experience, people who are iffy about driving a manual transmission revert back to an auto if they have the opportunity. The auto 128i isn't horrible, it's just not quite as fun as the manual version. Don't be fooled, however, you can have plenty of fun in an auto.

My solution to the somewhat lazy behaviors of the GM-sourced auto in the 128i has been to drive it in Steptronic mode whenever I'm not cruising the highway or driving in steady-state traffic. The only reason I was looking for a new car when I get my 1er was because I was tired of driving a manual in 3 hours of stop-and-go traffic five days a week. Looking back, had I really thought long and hard about it, I probably would've stuck with a stick shift. But, there are plenty of days when I'm thankful that I can stick it in Drive and just go.