View Single Post
      05-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Interesting idea. Ideally you would apply a pure moment, not an offset jacking force.

Here is one way to do it - build an outrigger, centered on the driver's location fore and aft. Weigh the car with ballast in the driver's seat and get corner weights. Weigh it again with the ballast as far outboard on the outrigger as possible and compare the corner weights to find out how much of the moment is reacted at the front axle and how much at the rear axle. Total weight and longitudinal cg is the same in both cases. Only difference is that outrigger case has an applied rolling moment.

Big rolling moments (which will be difficult to apply safely) will be more accurate. Shocks will have to be dialed full soft to minimize stiction. Comparing ballast full left to ballast full right on the outrigger is probably a good idea.

I might try this one day ...
yeah stiction could be an issue. would be interesting in itself to know.

not sure I follow why a jack wouldn't suffice, broken down to a freebody diagram the result should be the same - what am I missing? it does assume the chassis is a rigid body.

I thought about the how big the lift would need to be - in terms of garage safety. I did some quick calc's and it seems feasible to result in measurable load changes with basic equipment, unless your looking for 1% but that wasn't my intent.
Appreciate 0