View Single Post
      03-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M was and remains to be quickest BMW on Top Gear Track:

There are suggestions from Top Gear to subtract seconds in case the track at the time of lap was damp or wet or very wet etc. For 'damp' as 1M was quoted you need to subtract full 2 seconds and that means that the testers think it would/could be a 1.23:00 sec. lap on a dry track; go to full list available from Top Gear or wikipedia or fastestlaps websites and you will see an even more impressive list of cars behind the 1M "corrected" time and almost exclusively supersports ahead of it.

There are no BMWs lapped on that track by any Stig which managed a faster time; not yet. Neither as nominal/visible times nor after you subtract whatever they suggest us to subtract; closest to 1M after subtraction is the F10 M5 if I recall correctly.

Newer laps like the M135i and Alfa 4C that I would be interested are 1.25.1 and 1.24.8 respectively, slightly slower or faster than the 1M's 1.25 flat time but since only 1M time was 'damp' and others were dry/ideal conditions a comparison with adjusted times would suggest that on this track 1M is a quicker car than both (also thinking both M135i and 4C were with better tires and driven by same Stig).

Right or wrong, makes sense or not, this is the fact as it stands about that particular track/program.

What really impresses me most is that 1M driven by Stig did that time in 'damp' conditions with the factory fitted PS2 set which are not at all good on wet! Imagine it was fitted with same size PSS like every other M or M Performance car released after it? I know how much the difference between those tires on wet very well myself.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-05-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0