TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
:facepalm: at all of that

have you driven a dct car on the track? look at the times for a dct vs a 6mt on the track, the DCT smokes the 6mt. for track driving the dct is superior to a 6mt all day. no missed shifts, keep both hands on the wheel, easy to be in the perfect gear all the time. of all the things ive heard people complain about DCT, the fact that its slow on the track is not one of them. seriously SMH at that comment. i love driving 6mt cars too, i owned a bunch of them. but its not faster on the track.
Must just be me, oh wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
Repost from the F20 / European Hatchback Forum...sorry if this is a repeat.
(I posted in wrong forum)

Feb 2012 Article in Car and Driver about the 335is (2 door coupe) with the DCT was very interesting and I was wondering if any of the DCT/automatic fans had any comments. I know this is a 3-series, but there seems to be a lot more passion about the DCT and sportiness with 1-series fans. In addition, it is somewhat rare to order the manual transmission in the 335i. Seems like many 1-series drivers prefer the MT.

So...the highlights of the article...and what was interesting to me:

Page 49:
---------------
"335is test car was equipped with the optional 7-speed DCT automatic that is also offered in the M3 (and 135i). This gearbox has proven more problematic for track work than the aforementioned 335i's traditional manual."

"The steering wheel paddles sometimes did not follow through on a command."

"A transmission can't be the only culprit for a car's disappointing performance. Actually, it was the only complaint of the two drivers who drove the 335is."

"We would choose the standard manual if it were our money. And maybe that would improve the BMW's lap time. It would certainly increase the fun quotient."
-------------
The automatic/DCT seemed ok to me, although I'm more biased to the MT. But I do agree that the paddle shifters are kind of a novelty item (they certainly are in my current car and the 135i's I've test driven).

But (in regards to the article) does anyone think that the automatic/DCT does has the "fun quotient" of the MT? Car and Driver didn't really seem to like the DCT at all, both in terms of performance and the driving experience.

And for those "track people" (which I am not) even though the DCT is faster 0-60, according to Car and Driver it is slower overall around a lap, which would seem to be more important overall?

Anyway, just wanted to share...I liked the article and the opinion and comments they provided.

Quote:

as far as turbos ruining cars, thats your opinion. modern cars with turbos have tons of great benefits.
Fuel economy(which is offset by maintenance easily) and power figures(offset by lag and poor power bands).

Quote:
"proper driving cars", "because of other's incompetence"? you are ridiculous, enjoy being a driving legend in your own mind. arrogant much?
It has nothing to do with me, but it's nice to know you are thinking of me. Everyone who enjoys driving a connected car suffers when things like the Nissan GTR become the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
news flash......You're not 'the stig'!
News flash.....you're not New York City. Yes that sounded just as retarded as your post.

Quote:
You bought the least powerful 1 series and looking at your list of mods, I see nothing that improves handling or power, unless debadging counts towards reduced track times, you're much more concerned with looks and deception not improving performance.
Yes, I haven't updated my sig since they day I got the car. DISA valves, tune for that, PSS, proper light wheels, and TCK coilovers. None of those do anything.

Also, deception?

Quote:
Most of the cars I've come in contact with the TC can be turned off with the push of a button. But yet you try to make that a point, a moot one.
There are plenty of cars where traction control can't be turned off completely. Even non M BMWs require you to hold the button down for an extended period of time.

Quote:
'Turbos are spoiling proper drivers cars'? A nonsensical statement usually made by those who couldnt pony up the extra for the F/I cars. The owners of Ferrari F40's, GT2's, GTR's any many other world beater turbo cars laugh at your ridiculous statements. You keep on posing stiggy, most see through your BS.
And back to my favorite statement. That someone, everyone who didn't get a 135i must have done so because they are poor. Certainly isn't because they value other things more in a car(weight, power band, reliability), it's just a lack of funds.

And yes, the GTR(and that mentality) is spoiling proper driver's cars. The GT2 was never the driver's car(that was the GT3), and the F40 effectively isn't a car for the point of this discussion.