09-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
Hi all,

This is a mini review of the BMW Performance Power Kit, Stage 1. I had this kit installed today on my 2012 (N55) 135i M Sport with DCT.

This is the software only version of the PPK. Special pricing is now available on this kit until year end, MSRP now $599.00. The part number for my car was 11 12 2219 489. The kit is really just a software update, and a BMW Performance Power Kit sticker that is applied under the hood. Also, there are ‘warning’ stickers that get applied in various places under the hood to alert technicians to the existence of the kit so they don’t accidentally overwrite it or something during service.

I was in and out of the dealership in about two hours today. The car was hooked up to the ISIS computer almost the whole time. No issues whatsoever though. My dealer gave me a deal on the kit, total price out the door including installation and tax was $728.36.

I obviously only have limited time in the car since the upgrade was performed, but early ‘seat of the pants’ impressions are that it certainly feels like more than a 20hp / 17ft. lb. gain. Throttle response is much improved, and not there was a turbo lag issue before, but now there is literally none. Part of this could be placebo effect having just shelled out the $$$, but I don’t think so. The car feels much more responsive, particularly in Sport and S modes. I also think the new software re-mapped the shift logic in the DCT, gears seem to be held a little longer, and shifts are quicker and crisper. Idle seems a little lumpier perhaps. Also, noticed that oil temperature has increased about 5-10 degrees, no biggie, just an observation. Feels great.

I will report back if I have additional insights. Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. Money well spent in my book, and having full BMW warranty support is good peace of mind.

Update 9/22/11

Having spend more time in the car, the difference in midrange pull is SUBSTANTIAL. Certainly feels like much more than 17 lb ft gain in torque. Would love to see before and after dyno graphs. I would say BMW's figures are very conservative indeed. Waste gate is working harder, presumably from increased boost. I notice no difference in exhaust note. I think the 'burble' people are referring to is supposed to occur in overrun situations, and I have not faced that yet. For daily driving, no difference.
Thanks for the write up.

Have you driven an N54?

I've not driven an N55, so I don't can't compare them.
Given that the N55 doesn't have a throttle plate to suck air past, I would think that it already has better throttle response than an N54.
Please comment on your experience between the two, if you've driven the N54.

It's great if throttle response has improved.
I do want to hear from N54 owners though, as my N54's throttle response went from OK to "what the FK?", after last years software update. There have been a number of us N54 drivers who don't like what that software did to throttle "response".

I'm not talking about turbo lag, as these engines (N54) do have some lag, but not much. I'm talking about throttle response, how the engine responds to subtle changes in throttle application when the engine is at mid rpm, and the turbo's are spooled, say around 4000rpm.

If this software fixes that that's a positive.
But, I don't want to have to shell out $700 to fix something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.
If I decide to keep my 135i after next year I might do it, more for the throttle fix than the modest 17lb ft.
Appreciate 0