First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Thanks for the write up.

Have you driven an N54?

I've not driven an N55, so I don't can't compare them.
Given that the N55 doesn't have a throttle plate to suck air past, I would think that it already has better throttle response than an N54.
Please comment on your experience between the two, if you've driven the N54.

It's great if throttle response has improved.
I do want to hear from N54 owners though, as my N54's throttle response went from OK to "what the FK?", after last years software update. There have been a number of us N54 drivers who don't like what that software did to throttle "response".

I'm not talking about turbo lag, as these engines (N54) do have some lag, but not much. I'm talking about throttle response, how the engine responds to subtle changes in throttle application when the engine is at mid rpm, and the turbo's are spooled, say around 4000rpm.

If this software fixes that that's a positive.
But, I don't want to have to shell out $700 to fix something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.
If I decide to keep my 135i after next year I might do it, more for the throttle fix than the modest 17lb ft.
I have driven an N54-based 335i 6MT Coupe, albeit briefly. You are correct, in that there is inherently less turbo lag in the N55, and it is quite noticeable. It is difficult (for me at least) to separate throttle response from turbo lag, but what I have paid attention to since the PPK install is the crispness / quickness and urgency of the engine response to subtle changes in throttle has clearly improved.
Appreciate 0