Wings0fRed
Newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
First of all, it's 20HP.
Here's my problem with aftermarket software.
Say you take your car to BMW for a fix, say the fuel pump for example.
Now, if you cared enough to ask, you might find out that they re-flash your software as part of that fix. If you didn't ask, you'd just lost your money on the aftermarket... you'd drive around thinking you have a super dupper modded engine when it's just a plain old Jane. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Now what? You take your car back to Dinan/Cobb/etc and ask them to re-apply their tune? Even if they were accepting and did it for free, you'd lose half of your fuel pump fix (BMW reflashed your software for a reason, after all).
What do you do?
Couple things...first off, you'd definitely know your tune was overwritten when you got behind the wheel of your car again. The Cobb/JB4/Dinan/etc tunes give a serious bump in power and you'd certainly notice if it went missing.

Secondly, while I agree that you could lose some added functionality from a BMW reflash that helps out a specific component(s) (i.e. fuel pump is a big one), those non OEM tunes are constantly updating as well. I'm definitely not saying they're going to be as effective as a BMW tune, but just pointing out they're not stagnant. Also, some of those tunes are easily reapplied anyway. Cobb has a handheld tuner that you can do from your house and Dinan customers have been known to get free reflashes if their software gets overwritten, but I think that policy varies by location. I've heard some say Dinan always has done it for them for free and others say they get charged ~$50 to put back the software they already bought (pretty crappy IMO).

I prefer the BMW route which is why I got the PPK, but just thought I'd elaborate on the aftermarket tunes a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New21er View Post
How would you know if you even need Version 2 ? Woulden't Version 1 be good enough?
As mentioned before: version 2 = better cooling hardware and that's it. No hard and fast rule for who "needs" this, guess it depends on how hard you push your car.

If BMW thought the hardware was a requirement for the V1 tune they wouldn't sell them separately.