View Single Post
      10-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #257
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

After I got my Alcons I knew that my space saver wheel would be a tight fit, being a 17". Along with a compressor and tyre slime, these space saver wheels really give you piece of mind when going on long trips, can really save the day

The problem with space savers for BMW is that they made from materials blessed by virgins, which makes them crazy expensive. When I purchased my car the previous owner was paranoid about not having a spare wheel so he purchased the 17" alloy space saver. This wheel looks quite nice and comes with bag and separate toolkit with jack etc.

With big brake kits you have the option of a 18" space saver that was offered with the F30s and there was a 19" alloy offered with the e53 X5 (but finding the correct tyre for rolling diameter of E9x would be almost impossible)

I finally got around to testing fitting the space saver. By chance, I also have a 17" steel space saver on hand to test with as well. The alloy space saver is an extremely close fit with the alcons, less than 1-2mm of clearance with the barrel, the wheel DOES spin freely though. This was solved with a 10mm spacer, this puts the inner barrel away from the caliper and the outer barrel is a larger diameter so no problems there and plenty of clearance with a spacer. The Alcons are a 355mm brake disc, if you had an M3 or 1M (360mm, so disc is 2.5mm closer to the wheel) these 17" may very well fit with a spacer too.

The steel wheel did not fit at all, even with the spacer. The inner barrel is smaller and simply wont fit the brakes. You'd probably need a 20-30mm of spacer to make the wheel sit outside of the brakes, which you may run into clearance issues with the fender.
Attached Images