View Single Post
      02-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
shotor
Rep
Drives: 1M, 997 GT3, Spec E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I replaced my 1m with a 993. The 993 is not my daily but sometimes it gets daily duty. It is kind of modified for a street/track setup. In stock form it is a lovely daily driver and the stock suspension is softer than a 1m. When I dial my aftermarket suspension down it is pleasant enough on the street. Does not have the low end grunt of the 1m. Visibility is way better out of the 993 and you sit lower to the ground. HVAC blows cold enough for Texas, one of the big reasons I went with the 993 over an older 911. It combines the old school, air cooled feel with just enough modern touches like the hvac and multi-link rear end. At times I do miss the 1m and if I could only have one car I would have a hard time picking something else, it does everything well and is a real hoot. But the 993 has more of a connection to the road, and I like the old school feel.

Let me know if you have any other more specific questions..
Thank you for the response.

That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. The 993s seem to be old enough to be interesting, but new enough to be used regularly. And I won't be tracking it, as I have another vehicle for that.

I've owned a 3.2 & 930 in the past; but that was almost 20 years ago. They had issues [relays, always relays] but they never broke down. Now with 20 more years of time on these cars, is it still the same? The car will visit a mechanic every 5,000 Km for an oil change and whatever else is needed.

Thinking of getting an OBDI car, for sake of simplicity and easier maintenance [no air-pump, etc]. Is that an accurate assumption? I don't mind giving up some power for reliability. Since this will be my daily city car, it would need to start 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0