Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
      03-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

So many factors go into an auto insurance premium, it's nearly impossible to compare. But for the sake of being helpful, we pay $800/year for our 1M with USAA. That's for 6,000 miles/year, very good coverage limits, and reasonable deductibles. We have three vehicles on our policy + other insurance products with USAA and all kinds of discounts.

In nearly 20 years with USAA, neither my wife nor I has ever had an accident, but we did have a windshield replaced via our comprehensive coverage ($$$$ heated Sprinter van windshield) and one of our teenagers absent-mindedly got out of our Golf GTI without setting the parking brake and it rolled out of our garage, across the street, and into our neighbors mailbox, which created a claim, but thankfully no injuries (or worse). It occurred to me this wouldn't have happened with an automatic vehicle, but if this is the price to pay to have kids who can row their own gears, so be it. My neighbor across the street - the one whose mailbox died - couldn't understand how a car could "just roll away." My wife told her our car had a manual transmission and she looked confused - like she maybe didn't understand that there's no "Park" equivalent on a manual transmission car, or that there's even such a thing as a car whose gears the driver must manually change. It was then I realized by insisting my kids learn to drive a manual transmission, I'm saving them from automotive ignorance.

Interestingly, our 1M is the most valuable vehicle on our policy, but the least expensive to insure. I should probably make sure they know what it's worth so in case it's totaled, they don't pay out $30k or something. Wondering if anyone has any advice on that front, as well.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50