Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 11:53 PM   #10
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

There is one thing that you can do to reduce your insurance premiums on a collectible car, if you live in an area with 4 seasons, and you don't drive your car during a significant part of the year. I have way too many cars, 4 of which I don't drive at all between mid Oct. or early Nov., and sometime in May.

This past fall I turned off all coverage on these 4 cars other than what is referred to as "storage" insurance, e.g. coverage for cars that are not being operated, and perhaps preferably, are garaged. This means you can't drive the cars, because they aren't covered for collision or liability, windshield glass breakage from rocks, etc. As long as the car just sits and isn't being used, you are covered for whatever might happen to it such as theft, vandalism, or being in a house fire. You can also take those car(s) off of your umbrella policy, if you have one, and save hundreds more. When the seasons change and driving weather comes, then you just call the insurance company and turn the coverage back on.

I am saving a couple thousand dollars by doing this, a sizable chunk of what it is going to cost me to fix the evaporator in my 1M this May :-)