Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
I’m still not quite at your level of going REALLY fast but do feel that I could do better in the seat department. When you say harness, you meant a harness BAR (cage?) correct? I understand it is a big undertaking. I’m sure there are harnesses(cages) out there that are reversible (screw on to floor pan) if you do decide you’re done w it, although I’m sure that’s very rare or probably discontinued for our cars at this point. Being in HPDE only, what I’m thinking is probably overkill. I MAY try to be at the TT level w NASA but not much beyond that for now. Just want to be able to get more out of the experience that’s all.

I know bionicbelly did NASA TT5 and wanted to hear his thoughts as he also drove a 128.

I was thinking though, if a car came from factory w let’s say the BMW perf seats, which are basically Sportsters, if I had those on combined w a three-point, will that still be legal since these seats are offered from the manufacturer?
Yes, the factory BMW perf seats and 3-point belt would be allowed.

I think there are two different discussions here:

1. There are fixed-back bucket seats, which is when you have to move to a 5/6-point harness and rollbar/half cage. This is certainly the safest option but also makes the car more dedicated to the track.

Or

2. You can install an adjustable-back seat, like Recaro Sportster, which can still recline like a factory seat and has the provision at the base where the 3-point lap belt can correctly pass over and hold you in place.

Last edited by spidertri; 02-04-2020 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0