View Single Post
      07-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #56
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
and for those debating what an M car is...

I think //M meaning has evolved a lot to meet consumer expectations. A lot of the motorsport inspiration that was present in the older cars is gone with the new ones. Most people dont care about a high revving NA V8 putting around town. They want torque and the sensation of speed over a motorsport motor that you cant really exercise on the street without revving it out and looking like a Dbag. They also care about mpg. They care more about M as a top of the line package, over its actual meaning and just want it for status. So BMW adapts to meet their customers demands. I think the fact that we have M x5/x6's and M badges everywhere on bmw's cars as a communicator of 'status'. 99% of M car owners do not go to the track. They just brag about them on forums and zip around stoplights or hammer onto freeway ramps.

I personally covet the old M values and find them to have an emotional quality I do not find in the new cars. But that being said, I am not a person who only likes M cars and I try to appreciate things for what they are. The 1M is a fantastic car. Even owning a V8 1M bodied clone, I still want a 1M. I accept that it isnt the most pure of M cars, but that doesn't diminish my affection and excitement for the 1M.
Appreciate 4
c63er876.00
E30 Racer220.00
tetsuo1111227.00