Thread: PSS or...?
View Single Post
      01-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

PSS or...?

So it has come time to replace the OE PS2s. I am almost at 17k miles and they are essentially useless at this point. I have read really great things about the not so new anymore PSS and they sound like a no brainer.

Here is my dilemma. I am sure I am not alone. I hit the track fairly regularly, and have a set of RS3s on apex wheels for DE/auto-x use. I would run these all the time, but the winter weather we have experienced in DFW has me convinced that running an extreme summer tire year round is not the best idea. Most of my driving on the stock wheels is around town or roadtrips. Ideally, the tires I use on the stock wheels would be somewhat comfortable, last longer than the PS2s, while complementing the 1Ms performance characteristics. The PSS check the boxes for performance and life, but are they worth the price delta?

Looking on tirerack, there is one option in OE sizing that is significantly less in the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position at $770 for a set (vs. 1098 for the PSS). This represents over $300 in savings, which is nothing to scoff at.

What tires (and sizing) are people going to other than the PSS? Ultimately I do not mind shelling out the extra dough to put the "right" tires on the car, but that $300 could go to other uses if the cheaper tires would serve my needs adequately.
Appreciate 0