View Single Post
      05-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
BabyBimmerGuy
Rep
Drives: 2010 space grey 135i

Looking for advice on staging Focal audio upgrades

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I would like to thank the community for tons of great articles, you have helped me choose my path forward on audio upgrades but I need some advice. I drive a 2010 135i with standard HiFi. I like my music clear and yes, sometimes loud. I listen to a variety of music but for the most part I'm still stuck in the '90s alternative scene, or what my niece and nefiew refer to as oldies music.

For speakers I am leaning towards Focal ES100K for the doors and rear deck and Focal IFBMW underseats. This will be a pricier setup so I would like to do it in a staged aproach. Here's where things get tricky. My local shop has offered me a great deal on a Focal FDP 4.600 (4 channel amp).

I am thinking that I would like to do the following in terms of staging:
Stage 1 buy the Focal amp and hook it up to the door and under seat speakers and unhook the rear deck.
Stage 2 get ES100K for door.
Stage 3 get underseat
Stage 4 (optional if I'm not happy) get ES100K for rear deck and Focal FDS 1.350. Hook up rear deck to 4 channel amp and underseats to 1 channel amp.

I am looking for advice if the above makes sense, if not suggestions would be appreciated. Before the comments come flying in that I should go to JL 6 channel the cost of the two amps will end up being the same as the JL but I think I will end up with better quality. Also I have read alot of posts and I am not really interested in an all in one DSP solution. I would rather hear what each stage of upgrades does for the sound and if I am not satisfied in the end I can decide to go with a stand alone DSP.
Appreciate 0