Thread: More N55 info
View Single Post
      03-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

For those who haven't read...I posted this earlier. Also note, Edmunds just reviewed a 2011 335i with the N55 and mentioned it is noticeably quieter than the N54...others have also mentioned that. Definitely a bummer.

Previous Post:

"There has already been talk from the big wigs, through the grapevine, as to why the replacement…not only to comply with better emissions standards as well as the public’s yearning for better mpg, but it’s all about saving the moolah! Cheaper to produce and potentially maintain. If they could, they would’ve put n55s with more power in the IS cars but the N54 performance kits have passed US and international emissions standards long ago…meaning they have paid their dues and duty fees for standardizing it already. That just means they’re trying to get the last invested drops out of this powerplant because it is cost effective and they don’t need to pay to re-standardize an n55 with more power (it costs millions of dollars to do this). Car companies are being very careful how they spend their money these days. A little birdie also already told me stock N55s are out-performing the N54 handily on the test tracks...45lbs lighter and more responsive out of the corners…not to mention it runs much cooler than an n54. Yowza! Discuss."