View Single Post
      05-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #23
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
In my experience my 2008 135i with a mild tune encounters power reductions due to overheating coolant during extended track sessions.

Our ECU begins to progressively reduce power once coolant reaches 117°C (243°F), and the effect is immediately apparent when driving on the track. A similar effect occurs once the oil reaches 151°C (304°F), however, my coolant reaches the limit before the oil does.
Any logs to share? I've never seen my coolant ever get that high.

DME does target 180f coolant at WOT though. That does not seem to ever be achieved with stock DME settings. However, tuning has completely changed my cooling. Some simple table changes now have my coolant sitting at 180f rising to no more than 200f after 3-4 consecutive 4th gear pulls (something you'll never do on track).

Basically, tuning alone combined with straight water has me thinking there is 0 need to upgrade my radiator. Seems like other people that have upgraded their radiator are actually experiencing coolant never getting up tot temp in the winter. Seems unnecessary after making the aforementioned DME changes. Stock system seems capable enough you just need to drive that water pump for power instead of it constantly spinning at low speeds to keep things warmer for economy.
Appreciate 0