08-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
It drives totally fine. I don't notice anything in normal driving, but when I autoX the difference is incredible. I was concerned about daily driving the car too but a few people pointed out that a TON of cars have a clutch LSD from the factory and they are just fine. I don't know why I was concerned about it.
That's because you have an oem/oem-based Plate LSD, which are nowhere near the effectiveness/performance of a real aftermarket Plate LSD with full adjustability.

The oem Plate LSD's are designed to be used on a street car, thus compromised in terms of performance (even when they are "modified" by DiffsOnline/VAC etc). Even a Helical LSD will outperform the oem Plate LSD's on both street and track (except in certain circumstances such as free-wheeling). There is a reason why Helical LSD's sell so well for the M cars (which all have the oem LSD as standard).

Yes, the oem/oem-style Plate LSD's may be slightly cheaper (depending on who you purchased it from), but for only a few hundred dollars more than a Helical LSD setup, you can have a much better performing setup with an aftermarket Plate LSD (for a track car)

The reason why the oem/oem-style Plate LSD's have taken off in North America (and only here) is because 1) huge profit margins, 2) very tame for a street car, 3) Limited availability of aftermarket Plate LSD's in North America (only EU/Asian companies make them)
Appreciate 0