07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
While that is technically true, the system also anticipates. In the graph I posted above, the brake was actually applied without the inner wheel braking traction at all. But as mentioned above, this is where the mechanical LSD provides more "positive" feedback to the driver and thus feels more connected.
I understand the way it works. But

Quote:
The reasoning here is not correct. The brakes apply friction to the outside end of the drive shaft. A mechanical LSD applies friction to the inside end of the drive shaft (or better half shaft). Same difference in regards to handling.
The bigger difference come from how much friction (and when) is applied.
Two words - Moment arm.

The force applied by an LSD is centered on the halfshaft. Braking pressure is not centered on the shaft. This creates a positive moment on the entire system - a moment that isnt matched on the opposite side of the but why would you want your suspension to absorb a force that it doesnt need to?car. One that is more than likely fully absorbed by the suspension, granted. That brings me to your final point.

You can PM if you want more details on any of these principals. But like I said. Its not just a force - but where and how you apply that force on a system that makes all the difference.

Quote:
Please elaborate further as it's not clear what you mean here.
Also note that you do not have an option of "not using" eLSD.
[/QUOTE]

Im fully aware of how the car ive owned for four years and put 75 miles on functions mechanically.

By braking a wheel youre effectively changing the brake bias of the car - bringing it more to the rear and to a corner. Changing the way the car loads the suspension which changes the center of gravity in a corner.

If you want to experience it first hand, albeit in an extreme case, go find someone with an ActiveE (If you were local id let you try it on mine) and let the energy recover system kick in on a fast and tight turn. and note the way that the corning behaviour of the car changes relative to you having a balanced throttle.

Through personal experience I can tell you that the eLSD is a very jerky system - infact when its on at full bore you can hear it pulsating similar to an ABS system - next time youre at an autox pay attention for the sounds. In a slide you constantly have to correct for that pulsing - leading to a lot of work that you simply dont need to do.

A mechanical LSD is more smooth and progressive - its just a better way of doing it from the standpoint of driving dynamics.

Like I said earlier. PM me if you want some more clarification. Also sorry if my words are muddled a bit. I woke up at 4am today to drive from Boston to NYC and went straight into my job after a very busy and tiring weekend.

Appreciate 1
Bimmer TV125.00