02-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #110
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Castrol oil that's not BMW approved. Castrol Edge is not all the same.
The oil that we use in the N series engines is not the same as the stuff you purchase from Autobarn or SCA.
you can not purchase the BMW specific Castrol 5/30 LLO1 in anything less than a 20ltr tin.
Just like the M3 BMW 10/60 this oil is not the same as the Edge 10/60 you purchase from the local auto parts shop.

If you really want to change your own oil and want the hassle of dumping the old stuff, having the car fall on your head, and having a mess on your garage floor, Advan will sell you a 20ltr tin of the real deal Castrol gold for a good price, you can choose the 10/60 M3 or the 5/30 for the N series engined cars.

Pick up only from our Sydney shop. PM me for a price SORRY NO SHIPPING

Just a note, i had a long discussion with the Sydney Castrol rep i asked him to ask the tech at Castrol if i could use the M3 10/60 oil in the N54 engine with mods + 300kw I was told YES it would be a great upgrade for the track day guys.
If I was in Sydney I'd take my car to you Peter. I don't mind getting my hands dirty every 5,000km anyway. Plus seeing the thick black sludge that comes out makes me feel like I'm doing the engine a favour.

With regards to BMW approved oil, I'm not sure what the real differences are. I do know that 2 of the main dealers up here use Shell Helix Ultra when the engine oil cover on our engines specifically says that it's designed for Castrol Edge oil

Regardless, I'm happy with the new formula of Castrol Edge oil that I can buy over the counter, car seems to respond very well to it. Ian is right, it's not cheap, retails for around $90 up here. I usually buy a few if I see it on sale.
Appreciate 0