View Single Post
      03-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #87
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

First of all apologies but unfortunately work takes place first and foremost , but I will be answering your questions left in the feedback thread.

@ BMW things are moving fast on the product front with the new BMW 5er Touring being launched in 3 weeks and then towards early summer we will see the next generation X3 Sport Activity Vehicle, in between key important launches for China the BMW 5er Li amongst others and the Premiere @ the NYIAS of the BMW 335iS amongst the US debut of the 5er Sedan , 3er Coupe and Cabrio and the X5 LCi.

The sketch is my own and when I see a car for the first time in my folder of notes I make a sketch of the car and some key details so I can work on my pre-visualisation concepts for the cars respective representation.

Art and Design were never my forte so I am not offended by your remarks

Ok the first 10 questions:

@ DmBoone
Quote:
Scott, we appreciate the information that you have given us. Just want to make that clear.
I think the prevailing theme is that the fact that the M1 is not in Geneva means that the car is really not a "go" so to speak....or that is will take much longer than originally anticipated to get it to market. Can you comment?
It is true the development of this car is as we say late in the day , but the father of the project AKA Dr Segler is the driving force for such a car , as the man who brought the success to MINI he wants to emulate that concept with BMW and what better car to really enhance the reputation of the M Division by developing a 1M. The Coupe is the perfect car for this because it encases everything about the small compact Performance BMW as learned by the E30 and 2002.
With the 1M you have to look into BMW's past to an era where such cars excelled not only on the road and is one idea under discussion for this car.
As an existing project everything is basically available which helps cost absolutely , The engine is a redeveloped BMW engine which is a significant contribution allowing engineering costs to be lower and be used more to transform the car to drive - an M car is not just a series car with a faster engine , you have to transform the product so that it remains seperate from the standard car and reflective of the M Division.
The car will be ready for market launch at the end of the year and sales will begin in all parts of the world in mid 2011.

Quote:
Also--we have seen subtle hints that the BMW board drove the car and wanted more changes--aka more power, If this is true, what other changes and how much more power?
Every BMW especially after first official pictures still undergoes changes , The Final Evaluation involves the long term ownership of these first produced cars. As for more power the car will tread lightly around the M3 it will not overtake it's all a question of symmetry and the perfect balnce of power and weight for the car. For the E82 this is the send off it is too show what can be done and what to expect.
Quote:
Are there any details in regard to price?
In Euro there is talk about 10,000 more than the 135i. But I cannot assume the price in North America because it all depends on what the market will be like next year.
Quote:
Also, when can we expect to see the M1?
The First details of the production car will be announced at the end of the year.

@ Robert
Quote:
We haven't seen a coupe version of the new platform for the new 1 yet. When will that arrive?
You have not seen a Coupe because it is still too far down the road. The first model of the 1er will be the 5dr hatch then followed by the 3dr Hatch.
The Coupe and Cabrio models will be launched in 2013.

@ YearoftheOne
Quote:
Is BMW going to present/market the M1 as a back-to-basics driving enthusiast's "Ultimate Driving Machine"? With the introduction of the X5M and X6M, and the growing weight of the M3, aren't the M engineers itching to produce something more raw, of which the M1 would be a perfect candidate?
1-M will be aimed at a younger demographic and hopes to entice a new generation of enthusiasts. M Division is seen as a learning process to which a new generation of customers fall in love with the present car but seek out it's history. Today you cannot go that far back because of regulation and legislation and customer demands. You can develop something based on the needs of todays customers but still offer excellent dynamics , power delivery and still be fun.
Quote:
This is what I want to see from BMW. I want to see that they still embrace the enthusiasts, not just mass-market cars with mass-market sales.
In the end of the day M vehicles do not provide big sales unlike our core series, one has to supplement the other and selling our core cars would help to maintain the M Division. But a BMW whether you are in the market for a 116d or a 760Li then the customer is blessed with a product that although is not as equal but are good to drive and is a genuine BMW.

@ As7920
Quote:
Is there a M1 convertible (E88) version in the works?
Yes they have plans to introduce a cabrio as well.
Quote:
If so how far behind the coupe will it be?
A few months.
Quote:
Will the coupe have a manual transmission option?
I have seen cars with both manual and M DCT.
Quote:
If yes will it launch at same time as M-DCT? Or will they be a delay?
Probably at the same time.
Quote:
Rough UK price? In between 135i and M3?
I dont know for UK , In europe we are talking about 10,000 euro more than the 135i.

@ ARES45
Quote:
When will I be able to test drive an m1 in the u.s. And when will they stop making them(end of production).
Cars will hit the markets by mid 2011. Production will end possibly early 2013. [/I]

@ Levi
Quote:
Will there still be an M1 based on the 1 Series Coupé E82?
Will the M1 get more power than previously planned, and will the M3 E92 then also get more power?
[I]Yes, A slight boost , M3 will possibly get an upgraded Competition towards the end of the production. The M3 GTS has ruled out any additional major changes other than cosmetic and electronic. It is still under discussion.

@ Primo135
See above.

@ Beemer 323
See above.

@ Alext
Quote:
I want to know if the M1 will share the same engine as a possible Z4M...or even will there be a Z4M?
As of now there are no plans for a Z4M , although we did say that about the E85?

@ BrokenVert
Quote:
I too am curious about an E88 M1 aswell. Could it possibly have a fixed rollover bar option that way vert owners could track their cars every once in a while?
I do not think BMW will offer such a feature in a Cabrio.

@Lacrosse

Quote:
Can you address the rumors in Edmunds that the M1 will not happen but we will instead see a 135is variant? Can you provide a US time line for either?
@ BMW AG we do not talk about future product specifically with the media.
This is make you're mind up time. you have seen the pictures and you have seen the video. BMW do not go to alot of this trouble as you have seen per the wheel arches , wider track and carbon roof for a iS. In a few months you will see the concrete evidence underneath typical BMW camouflage.
Then we will see...

Last edited by SCOTT26; 03-10-2010 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0