09-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It was bespoke when it came out in 2011 with new coatings on the synchros hence LT-5 fluid and all the confusion that came about but they used the transmission in the last two years of 135i. So mostly correct. It was also different from the Z4 when it came out. While the engine was sourced from it the transmission was an improved version and it also might have been used on later z4s. That is where the confusion exists.

the 1M transmission was derived from the Z4 which may have had some connections to the original 135i (N54) transmission. AFTER the 1M was released the N55 135i that followed used the exact same transmission as the 1M but i believe with a different clutch (someone can confirm) and the Z4 that followed that used the exact same transmission as well. In fact the 1M transmission went onto be further developed and the F8X M3/M4 and M2 also use a further evolved version of the same transmission which was evolved out of the 1M.

it is a complicated story.

The clutch for the 1M was shared from the 335is.

All in keeping with the 'parts bin' categorization of these cars.

EDIT: i just looked up the transmission. it's the GS6-53BZ and when i say it was "taken from the Z4" i mean all the settings and ratios were used since the Z4 35is was using the N54T. It seems possible the N54 135i was also using the same transmission but set up differently.

Last edited by 10"; 09-22-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0