Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
As others have said, 740 of them in the US is pretty rare. To put that into perspective, that's about how many Lamborghinis were sold in the US in 2014. Granted, Lamborghini had two models with a few variations, but still.

Still, a BMW exec coming out and saying they limited the car to maintain value and artificially create rarity doesn't sit well with me.
I know he said it, but he may have been blowing smoke. They weren't sure the car would sell well, which is why they hadn't greenlighted the product years earlier. Thanks to the secret project pyrat effort, we got the car. Production started as e82 series production was wrapping up and I believe they were surprised by the demand, and kept making them well beyond the original plan, until the e82 line had to be shutdown and retooled for a new model.
Is that true tho? Didn't they continue to make the 128 and 135 into 2013?
Yes and the talk about the N54 production being ceased is total nonsense too because the N54 stayed in production in the Z4 til when? 2015 or 2016?

It is a true mystery why the 1M was only made for 1 model year. My feeling was that it was to generate hysteria for the next gen 2-series which it did. Do you remember when the underwhelming M235 came out? All everyone wanted to do was compare it to the 1M. It was pretty comical really...