Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
That's badass! Congrats dude.

Still convinced that the Rivals are the best choice? That seems like a crazy amount of wear for 2 days. I can't afford that kind of weekly HPDE investment lol

Most tests I've seen still show the RE71s as faster at the expense of slightly faster wear but I always get 5+ track days out of mine. They sure are wide though.

What's the ETA on the rear conversion?
Honestly, this wasn't normal wear. Two issues contributed to the premature failure of the front left tire:
1 - Ran Streets of Willow CW with no ABS for a day. Streets is a tight, technical course that eats up tires, especially the front left because it's almost entirely right-hand turns. Paired with no ABS, I had a few oh-shit moments and likely flat spotted a few of my tires, leaving massive skids on the track. Still managed to PB though with a 1:25.4!
2 - Fixed the ABS, but went back to buttonwillow and not only did I not rotate my tires because of the stupid staggered offsets, but I didn't flip them left to right, either. The remaining three tires have an easy two days left of them. I just messed up.

To top it off, I really feel like the car still doesn't want to rotate and am definitely still battling understeer. Either over-driving or just fighting the lack of front mechanical grip.

I'm not convinced the Rival S is better than the RE71R or the Sur4G, and definitely not convinced it's better than the A052. These four tires are undoubtedly the best and I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you're not competing for times or personal records, I'd probably just try to get a bunch of Federal RSR-R's to hang with until it counts.

Rear conversion will start this week or next, but I'm sure it'll be down for at least a month.
Ohhh I've heard Streets is horrible for tires, I ran a few laps there CCW and actually tore up some RSRR tires haha think I managed a 1:26 something. 1:25 is moving for sure.

Yeah I should have stocked up during Americas Tires eBay sale. Toally fine paying $200ea for RE71s. They wear about as fast as RSRR which are about $120ea so the price difference is negligible during these sales.

The smart move would be running the Federal FZ or NT01s and saving the 200s for GTA or Time trial events. The FZs are similar to NT01s (similar grip level to RE71/SUR4/Etc) but last twice as long and are $135ea.

Definitely document the rear conversion - I'm interested to see if going full quarter panel is easier or just the lower section.