djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
After two days and lots of delays due to rain, the valve cover gasket is finally on.

As both 2008e92328i and I found out, the e82 chassis is tight as hell! But just as fun to see on the road. This was a big pain in the ass but I'm glad I was able to do it

Some fun things I noted
-don't lose your suppression band nut! Lost that thing cause I was cleaning it off and all the stores around me were out of stock lol

-be careful with the stupid clips around the fuel injector wire harness. I know they're redundant but I don't like losing things

-Watch out for the o2 sensor wires in the back, I got mine pinched by that back left bolt, not in the gasket luckily but it was a hassle to get out

-extensions. You need to have every extension ever made: wobble, adapters, bendy ones, the whole 9 if you don't wanna lose your sanity at all the twists and turns you have to make

-check your work 3x over. I did the coolant bleed procedure twice, unplugged and plugged every connection, checked torques etc to ensure there was little room for error.

-car will need to re-learn and re-adjust. Some guides mention it but if you're not aware, the car will need to relearn the valvetronic limits and I'm sure there are other things after that many connections are pulled. The car will be running rough for the first startup, there could be smoke from oil dripping, pb blaster or brake cleaner. Know those smells! If it continues after the 3rd drive, there may be a leak

After roughly 8 total hours of work I can confidently say this is a great DIY for those trying to up their mechanical knowledge as this will make you really think about how to adapt and put things in your mind together. Big engine, small space makes for creative thinking

We leave tomorrow for Austin and I'm feeling much better about the drive home. Happy New Year everyone
Remember: smiles per gallon >miles per gallon
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 2