View Single Post
      12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
wtzouris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon

Hi everybody, I actually enjoyed the dialogue about Traction Control/DTC. It was exactly the thread I was looking for this evening.
I just spent a day driving my 2010 135i with (4, of course) winter tires (Nokian Hakkapelliita R Runflats) and I too was surprised by how much the Traction control warning was coming on. Granted, I was doing some spirited driving. But we have really crappy weather here in my part of NY, and lots of ice and snow, so I'm happy with the trade-off. I did enjoy driving today with the DTC program ON. I found no great loss of control (It was a sunny dry 35 degree day) and the traction control light did not come on at all. So I think I might do the DTC program in the dry weather winter days.

Now I want to drive it with the wider Goodyear NCT5 RunOnFlat tires in the summer and see if I can get the traction light to warn! I just think all that light flashing means that I am wearing out the rear brake pads..... If the car had a limited slip differential, how would that change the handling of power to the rear wheels? Could you lock the rear driving wheels under hard acceleration? Wouldn't that be better than braking the wheel that is losing traction with an open differential? (That's what the 135i has, right?)
Appreciate 0