View Single Post
      04-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #1
135ijonny
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Exclamation N55 135i blown headgasket?/ motor ***update included***

Hey guys. Had four 135’s so far. 3 n54 & currently have a n55. So earlier this week I was driving home out of nowhere lost complete power. Cel & reduces power didn’t come up for 5 mins until the occurrence. Car is currently fbo. While doing a light pull around 4k rpm it went into limp. Pulled car over & thankfully it was beside my house. When revving the motor sounded fine. I inspected the car & noticed all the coolant was gone. Prior to driving I changed my brakes & checked everything so I had full coolant prior. Once I got home & turned it on light smoke started showing. I filled it up fully with spare genuine bmw coolant. Tested again & started smoking heavily insane amounts of white smoking from the entire engine & exhaust. Following the next day I took it to two reputable shops. One thought it was head gasket & the other thought it was possibly my turbo. Now when I checked the oil & coolant nowhere could I find any leads to coolant & oil mixing. I took off my chargepipe and noticed a ton of oil that leaked into it & my exhaust. When inspecting the turbo it appeared to be fine from the downpipe view. Following the two inspections due to this virus I had it home & had a friend who’s a mechanic work on it. We looked around to see what else could be found & after removing the chargepipe we found a ton of oil in it also & going into the ic pipe (huge amount) well over a couple 100mls more than a bottle or 2. I will be posting a video later (once I upload to YouTube) tonight on the smoke. But let’s say it’s enough smoke from the engine & exhaust to the point which my neighbours thought it was on fire. White smoke. Prior to this all occurring I smelt a bit of a burnt oil smell which caused concern 1 minute prior to this all going down. Would look any feedback as I am waiting for the most trusted mechanic to open up next week & would love to hear what’s you're opinion on this. If it’s blown or not it’s fine since I came to the concussion whatever it is can be catastrophic yet would love to have some input. Thank you guys. **** no misfires motor sounds fine shockingly & no metal sounds or grinding*** **** video attached*** mechanic second opinion happening this Monday
. Update**** car passed compression & leakdown test with flying colours. Motor is running fine & based on all tests no coolant with oil mixing. Headgasket is fine. Removed exhaust manifold & turbo pictures included
View post on imgur.com
- picture 1 (intake side of turbo) - intake side of turbo is completely stuck in the housing and won’t move.... like it scrapped into the housing and with excessive force we checked & it’s jammed shut. & picture 3(exhaust side of turbo) a piece of the turbine wheel came off) Ton of oil found in the inter cooler aswell. - Tuesday we are replacing turbos &99% sure this is the reasoning for all the massive smoke ****update

Last edited by 135ijonny; 05-17-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0