View Single Post
      05-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
blinded
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
APEX specifically told me the 17" fitment they offered wouldn't be great and would cause rubbing. They said the only situation they would find them acceptable is for a track car where rubbing civility isn't the highest priority. You can take it as you want, but when a company essentially tells you not to buy their product, I listen.

I really appreciated their honesty too, and continue to recommend them as a result.
Eddy at Apex has made many posts like this on the forum. I ran across it multiple times when I was researching square setups.

Here's the important part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts
If you run a 245/40/17 rear tire on a 17x8.5" et40 wheel then you're running a wheel that is 12mm more aggressive then your stock wheels. The stock wheels are conservative, but when you put a meaty tire right out there at the fender lip with an offset like that, then you'll get rubbing. So a rear fender roll will be required. It's one thing to do this with a "show" or "street" oriented tire combo, but for track/autocross we are talking about wide tires that will be flexing to their limit under load and you'll neeed all the room you can get. The problem is you didn't want to roll your fenders you wanted a bolt on setup. If you installed 235's then you wouldn't have rubbing front or rear, but now you're not even coming close to the grip the car really needs. (I run 235/40's on a 2400lbs E30 M3 and I need more grip). Yes you could get around with that much rubber, but it's not even close to optimal.
Maybe you got a different answer when you talked to them directly, but I don't see how the 17x8.5 ET40 Arc-8 would be worse than the BBS RGR 17x8 ET40 with 235's. I've always read Eddy's note as being anything beyond 235 square is a problem for *any* wheel on the 1 series (non-M) for an easy bolt-on setup because there is no offset that accommodates both front and rear for a greater tire width. I could be wrong though. It's happened before.
Appreciate 0