View Single Post
      07-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #13
gixracer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M3/SlickN55/SlickN54/128

I will begin with the fact that I took two days off work to get some work done on the car. man was I tired after day 1.

So the motor removal is ridiculous on the M3 because of the power steering hose that wraps around the front three times, but otherwise its a straight removal after the wire harness and grounds are disconnected.

The exhaust was easy because the mounts are a bolted in and you dont have to pry the rubber hangers off to remove it. Disconnecting the mid section that has the cats was a treat. Normally on N54/N55/N52 headers the studs are pressed in to the header. They normally snap if they have seen any water or corrosion. The s65 sections have their own bolts that come out and can be replaced easily if there are issues.

When the motor was being removed the loops came in handy for the leveler. As the subframe started to drop down off the car the motor started to cant. The left motor mount was separated and broken. This just meant one less nut to get the two apart later.

Subframes were the standard affair. Noted though is the that the M3 subframes have the extra wings behind the motor. The E82 chassis has the holes ready to go for the mounts!!!! i was looking at euro 118i pics and some have an additional V brace that hook up to those holes. I swear BMW secretly has more than one or two S65 1M's laying around. The amount that the E8x chassis interchange parts is staggering.

Notes for the build and observations. Front wire harness is going to pulled and parts will transferred over. There is a seperate pump for the brake master cylinder with wiring and another sensor. Obviously the entire Brake master and booster are getting swapped. The fuel lines and the rear brake lines run on the ouside of the left frame rail to the back. The fan control wiring is larger because of the higher output. Notably the cooling system will swap in just the same but I will look into how the oil cooler assembly will mount into the 1M body work.

Other small things. 135i front wheels do not clear M3 brakes but the rears do. On the rears the 10mm difference in hub spacing it very noticable and leave a ton of options for concave wheels on the rear. I'm going to post more pics later because i used the real camera for the teardown pics
here a couple teasers.

also props to Marco (ilikebmxbikes)for the phone conversation the other night the info is going to help quite a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by gixracer; 07-28-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 6
Matticus913474.50
Fakemike369.50
1and11858.00
Bimmer TV125.00
atr_hugo325.00