United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter K View Post
Here are my findings from the shop out in Cali...

"This install required quiet a bit of modification to the car as well as the dash kit.
First, we used a dash kit that was for a BMW 3 series, along with the seat heater re-locator by Metra.
A part of the OEM A/C control bezel which was cut and the part of the Metra 3 series kit,
was cut and had to be fused together. Of course after, came the sanding, primer, and paint.
Where the radio mounts and a section of the A/C vent plastic had to be cut away to make room for the radio.
It's wasn't hard but very time consuming.....
I don't know where you're in the east coast, but I'm sure if you look around, you should be able
to find a shop that's able to install a double din radio in you BMW.
One thing to look for is a shop that has prior experience doing dash modification.

Hopefully, this was helpful....

Thanks,

Tom
Street Sound Plus
North Hills, CA"

It sounds like the Metra kit is primarily for the 3 series but not quite the plug and play for the 1er. So it's possible but a matter of how desperate are you. You can pay more for a custom job or sit tight till a 100% certified 1 series kit comes out
I think you should get a second opinion. I see you are from Virginia but a audio shop that comes highly recommended by BMW enthusiast, including myself, is called "The Audio Pros".

I would say to give them a call and see what they say.