06-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #342
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
I'm pretty sure my dealer originally installed +FM (Will confirm in the morning when they open) rear diff oil during 2000km service. But at 32,000 km, they switched to non-FM. Should I be worried? I read you shouldn't swap back once you start using +FM, but I can't find out why.
I would be worried. BMW doesn't put out these guide lines for no reason. While I do not know why they say once you use +FM you should never go back to non +FM. There has to be a logical reason - knowing how the Germans think. I just do not know why.

@discoboy1 I would be changing your engine oil at least once a year. IF you store your car over the winter maybe change your engine oil before and after the "winter sleep". The reason is the oil will become more acidic as it ages. Also unburnt fuel from stop/starts will buildup in the engine oil. There is that old saying... 20/20... start the engine for less than 20 seconds or run it up to temp for 20 minutes(with a short drive).

As for the gearbox and diff fluids... I would think changing those once every three years would be ok. ?
Appreciate 0