View Single Post
      03-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #30
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

I finally have the system up and running. I do need to spend some time tuning it and it could benefit from a subwoofer, but as it is with 3way separates only upfront, 85 watts per speaker and the T/A and 31-band EQ of the Audison. This is a pretty impressive system'.

To mount my new midrange speakers, I had to fabricate a custom mounting ring for them. I ended up using a mid and tweeter by AudioFrog. However instead of using their hi-end GB series, I used the entry level GS series, since this is a modestly configured system anyway.

I used 5/8-inch MDF to make the trim rings which basically hold the drivers to the door using compression. They mount up to the factory mounting screws and to my surprise, the AudioFrogs fit behind the door panel perfectly with no binding or hitting of the window, like you find with some other speakers.

I added a small sheet of sound deadener to the area around the speaker to cut down on any vibration. I don't anticipate much anyway since I have these crossed over between 150hz and 3000 Hz, but I wanted to be thorough. I am using wire, interconnects and sound deadening from KnuKonceptz.com. An online purveyor of speaker wire, power cable and the likes. I've used them in my last two installs and for the money, you can't be them.

The Audiofrog tweeters are the GS series as well. Even though they would look pretty good flush mounted to the factory base stereo mirror triangles. I am going for a totally stealth install at this point and have them mounted behind the OEM grills. The only clue there is something special in the car are the hint of chrome from the GS mounting ring.

Next on my list is to get the three speakers tuned and do some listening to the system. When I bought the AudioFrogs I couldn't find any reviews for the GS series so plan on doing a post dedicated to my initial impressions of them, along with the MB Quart 8-inch. I am on the fence as to whether or not to replace them and am now doubting I'd get much better results with anything else.

I need to do some measuring as well and start thinking about the subwoofer system. I have two options here as well. Either showy, or stealth again. I have a single Hertz 10-inch subwoofer that I would love to use, but the box would be fairly large and deep. I also have a pair of Hybrid Audio i6SW's which are amazing little speakers and if you know anything about them, have the capability of meeting or even exceeding the output of the 10-inch Hertz in the right box. I'd love to design something to fit under the rear deck, out of the way and completely hidden. But that is a story for another day.
Appreciate 0