07-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I am going to start off saying I agree 100% but here's my question.

If the manual mode lets user select gear no matter what. (won't upshift or downshift) Does that constitute as a manual? Does manual must include a clutch or simply implies user selection of gears.

I guess you just answered that question above

To me, the term "manual" means the driver is physically moving the gear selection mechanism, and the transmission isn't capable of shifting on its own without energy input from the driver.

Automatics have always had a means to allow drivers to select whatever gear they want, but that doesn't make them manual transmissions. It just makes them manually selectable.

Anything that's capable of shifting with no driver input (other than putting it in D) is an automatic in my book.

That said, I'm a big fan of DCT transmissions, and not all automatics are created equal. There's a massive difference between a DCT and a traditional torque converter based auto, and people (especially people who think 3 pedals are always better) should stop trying to lump them all into one generic catagory. At the same time, fans of the DCT should stop trying to say it isn't an auto. If you can put it in Drive and go from 0-155MPH without ever touching it, that's the very definition of the term.
Appreciate 0