02-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #311
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Did the transmission yesterday (DIY was great help thank you!). Ran a hose out to engine bay with a funnel and filled with Redline D4 ATF. The fill started overflowing after ~1.75qt or so. My understanding is that the reservoir is 2L so 2+qt, so I'm curious why this might be? Did I not let it drain enough? The car was on a slight decline (5deg max) - the front was on ramps while the back was on jackstands. Would this have trapped 0.25qt of old oil?

Also, the fill never really stopped seeping, I sealed it up when it slowed, but not stopped - the FCP euro DIY video shows them sealing it up right away, wouldn't this pressurize the gearbox?

I ran it a bit after buttoning everything back up, felt pretty good, though maybe slightly notchy, but hard to tell if it's placebo, new fluid, new fluid type, etc.

The manual trans hold just under 2 liters of fluid. I always remove the fill plug FIRST, then the drain plug at the bottom. Its no fun finding out your fill plug is stuck/seized, after draining out all your trans fluid.

I always let the drain plug out and wait until it stops dripping old fluid out. Then I fill the trans until fluid spills out the side/fill plug. It is important to make sure your car is LEVEL! Sounds like maybe your's wasn't. You can use a bubble carpenter's level placed on an open door sill to check how "level" your car is - next time around.

The gearbox has a breather on the top of it. So it's not pressurized.

Dack
Appreciate 1