View Single Post
      09-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Nice idea . I have always been a fan of the motto "The day you look in the mirror and are satisfied is the day you lose the battle." This applies to all aspects of your life.

I am in a similar boat, i just started trying to get back in to shape about 3.5 months ago and I have a couple comments on your plan.

First, why aren't you building muscle. For every pound of muscle you add, you burn 35-50 more calories a day just to maintain it, let alone additional muscle to exercise. In addition, fat is a low burn energy source, the exact type of energy you burn sitting around working or sleeping all day. So extra muscle pays off big there for fat burning.

Second, it sounds like you are restricting your diet too much. I started 3.5 months ago at 142lbs and set a daily intake range of 2k-2.2k high in protein. my 142lbs burned around 2k before exercise and about 2.5k-2.7k after exercise, leaving me a 500 calorie a day deficit.

If you read around, you will see that any diet that is greater then a 500 calorie a day deficit risks pushing you into starvation mode, causing you to burn fat, muscle and bone more evenly, something you don’t want.

As I noted with my above approach (includes 5-6 hours a week of weight lifting only), I have jumped to 152 lbs and went from 13.5% body fat to 8.5%. All while eating plenty of food for someone of my size.

With all diet plans, make sure it something you can live with day in and day out, or you will just yo-yo and never be both satisfied with how you look and how you eat/excersize.

Last edited by mithiral67; 09-16-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0