05-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
From HLT documentation...

"LapTimer is designed to support “out of the box” and easy to use video recording and overlaying"

Um...No. It isn't. At least on Android. I just spent an hour trying to do it and I am no dummy when it comes to technology. It feels like I am working with a 10 year old interface...

I have to manually put the files in HLT's preferred video directory before it "sees" them?

HLT can only try to move files via WIFI to the *internal* storage on my tablet but not the SD card (so, I can't move anything via WIFI as the internal storage is small).

There is no easy way to determine which file you manually move (it breaks them into 4GB pieces) is linked to the lap you want to preview? You have to link it, then reaize the video has nothing to do with the lap you are looking at? (isn't the video AND HLT data timestamped?)

No "undo" function for the linking process?

This is too hard unless i am missing something (and the youtube videos I have found haven't really helped). About to get a Virb or something else and be done with it. I just want to:

Put the camera, OBDII transmitter, external mic, and GPS device in/on the car. Power them all up (is it too much to ask for them to remember to connect to each other?), do my laps, then be able to preview and edit seemlessly when I am done. Does anything do that?

Sorry for the rant...just frustrated at how clunky the HLT process is.
I use the internal camera and a 10hz GPS module and have had great success with it. That's a lot of devices that all need to have a stable connection, function properly and you're asking a lot of the device too.

Maybe simplify the setup and just run the GPS sensor and external camera? The mic seems like overkill.

Or get an Aim solo.