04-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #68
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
I tried to replace my plugs since my car has 62K miles. I bought a thin wall socket an a torque wrench to do it. However when I was removing one plug it felt like it was cross threaded coming out. finally got the plug out and threads looked okay. I tried to install the new plug and I could not get it started by hand the side of the socket was rubbing against the side of the hole. I used a ratchet to get it going but I had to stop because it felt it might cross thread and it's aluminum is this normal?

I need help
^^That doesn't sound good. I hope you have not started the engine. You might want to have a shop(dealer or indi) check that plug.

Q's.... Where did you buy your spark plug socket>? It should be a 14mm 12point - with very thin wall, design. This is why I always buy high quality tools. Even BMW dealers sell the special spark plug tool.

Where did you buy your plugs? Maybe it is what is defective. Either way... its not a good feeling when you strip the spark plug threads. Hoping for the best for you.

Dack
Appreciate 0