12-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #123
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I am not impressed by the mild bump in HP increase or the torque since its no different than what we've see on the "iS" versions of the 335 and Z4. I am excited that this car will weigh a decent amount less than 135i. If this car weighs between 100-200 pounds lighter than a standard 135i but with the LSD, driveshafts, transmission, body panels, and what not that's actually pretty good. As much as I love more power, shedding some pounds is good too. Less weight with a mild bump in HP sounds good. What I am wondering now are things such as what did they do to get another 15 HP over the iS variants. Did they up boost, make changes with the exhaust (maybe used higher-flowing cats)? If the price is around $45k that's not so bad when you factor in the better handling, but I won't be planting a deposit until after I go for a test drive. I am glad BMW made the 1M, but I honestly might wait for the F20 1M. If the original E30 was what the 1M is supposed to be the spiritual successor to it hit some good points.
  • It is lighter (between 100-200 lbs off a stock 135i)
  • It has brakes from the M3, I like this because if the stock ones are good enough to stop a 3,600-3,800 lb. car it shouldn't have any problem stopping a 3,200-3,300 lb. car
  • It has suspension components from the M3 which are already proven to work well with the E82
  • It redlines to 7,000 rpm (S14 to 7,200 though Dinan reflashes have enabled N54s to rev that high too)
  • It has a more aggressive body kit which enables a wider track and puts more rubber on the road compared to the top non-M car
  • It is equipped with a LSD as standard
  • The interior is more simplistic compared to a non-M car
  • The bump in power is roughly 30-35 more than the non-M car just like it was for the E30 M3 versus the E30 325iS
  • The dimensions are very close, though the 1M is still a bit bigger due to changes in safety regulations and what not over time.

After seeing the similarities you can see the 1M is not so much a power car, though I still wish it had a bit more, as it is a back to the M basics of dynamic handling traits. At this stage with my 135i I don't necessarily envy the 1M, though I hope in the future I might be able to fit some of its components. With the current specs I think if I were in the market today and base price wasn't over $45k I'd be signing up. Maybe I will pick one up when they hit the used/CPO market.