01-12-2016, 08:11 PM   #28
Fast.asleep
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
I wish people would stop saying junk like this. Throwing out advice such as the quoted statement is what perpetuates the idea that you have to mod your car to be "track ready" before getting on track.

ANY stock BMW is perfectly suited for a beginner to get on track and learn. Any car will have capabilities well beyond a novice driver's skill set for the first several days on track. The notion that you have to swap brakes or have sticky tires or upgrade to xyz suspension before getting on track is absurd and actually hinders the novice driver's ability to learn.

If someone actually cares about learning to drive and not blowing their money, the best thing to do is take whatever money they were going to spend on mods and buy some seat time. Seat time in a slow, bone stock car is the best way to increase ones driving skills IMO. Once they start outdriving the car (brake pads, not rotors/calipers, are probably the first item to address) then modify the car to address those areas.

This is not anything directly aimed at Fast.asleep, just something I consistently observe on multiple forums I frequent.

/rant
Ok let me put it a different way,

"if your going to use your car on the street, a pad upgrade is all you need. If your going to use it at the track (using the brakes over and over in a short amount of time) and want to avoid brake fade, boiling fluid, etc, upgrading may be worth it"

Btw: my stepfather's stock 1984 318i was NOT track ready.
Appreciate 0