View Single Post
      06-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #59
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I hope so too, but my softly equipped E92 328i--Sport package, heated seats, MT--came to 38,800 (and I didn't even get metallic paint, thank God JB is free, it does look the best :biggrin: ).
You know, that's one thing that I find to be an absolute absurdity among "premium" cars...the surcharge for metallic paint. In the 3 series, BMW charges $475 for metallic paint, and I'm sure you'll see the same thing in the 1 series.

It's not that I can't afford $475, I will in fact get metallic paint on any car I buy. Its a principle issue, and I feel insulted, and angry for being treated like a fool and taken advantage of. Here's exactly what I mean...most non-premium cars do not charge any additional fee for metallic paint, or even pearlescent paint. A similarly greedy buisness model would be for example, a plumber charging a standard fee for service in a average neighborhood, but raising the rates in an upscale neighborhood for the exact same service. You would rightly call that buisness practice greedy and opportunistic from the plumber, and the metallic paint surcharge is equally greedy and opportunistic. Metal flake in your paint is worth about $4.75, not $475.00
Appreciate 0