View Single Post
      06-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #15
MRSEVENTEEN_FIVE
Rep
Drives: 09' Black 128i 6MT coupe (N52)

Reviving this thread.

Haven’t had much time to work on this car until now. Basically back in the winter I finished off by doing a pressure test on all cylinders and they all read low 60psi across the board. I did a wet test(albeit in cold January temps in Canada so the oil was very viscous) and I don’t recall any cylinders jumping up any more or less than the others.

I bought a valve cover gasket since it needed it done anyway and an N52 timing assembly tool kit and removed the valve cover to check for a loose chain, chipped teeth, sheared vanos bolts, and hoped to find a smoking gun.

everything seems to be as tight as a ducks ass in water… except when I rotate the main crankshaft manually and observe the ‘QR codes’ on the tops of the camshafts, they never seem to both line up at top dead center at the same time. Is it possible that one of my cams could be overly retarded whilst having (seemingly) optimal tension on the chain and vanos sprockets?

Nothing in there is loose or moveable by hand. Nothing seems sheared or snapped.

I thought my timing may be off but I’m lacking confidence in my ability to deduce that one of my cams is

A) in the wrong position. &
B) that could happen to the point of no start while still having tension on the chain and bolts.

How could this be?

To be clear, if I turn the crankshaft until my intake cam is top dead centre, my exhaust cam is off by about 20°. Is there a world where they would be okay to run/start but not line up? do I need to rotate the crank a certain number of times to find them all in alignment?
Appreciate 0