View Single Post
      03-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Shopping for Mid-Range Coil-Overs: Ohlins vs. YCW Reference vs. FA500

I've finally found my way into the market for a mid-range suspension setup. My Koni Sport shocks and Eibach springs have lost their luster on me. My 128i is my daily driver (with 185k miles on it). I drive an easy 12k miles a year now, and will track the thing once or twice a month (March through November). Long highway stints will be a thing (going to college soon), so a wide range of adjustment is great. I want a controlled, but not stiff ride. Good body control, well-damped, and forgiving over craggy, pot-holed surfaces. I also want good, neutral balance F/R for easy, selective sliding (heh).

I'm looking to stay below the $2500 mark. So far, I've come up with 3 options that would seem to fit the bill for me (in order).

1. Ohlins Road and Track
$2225
PROS:
-Best-engineered damper on the list
-3DM Motorsport sells with 1M valving and 1M spring rates
-Wide range of adjustment
CONS:
-Possibly short service intervals (up for grabs)
-Possible fitment issues (on the standard kit)

3. YCW Reference Series
$2299.95 (35% off for limited times)
PROS:
-Most affordable (with this 24-hour discount)
-Good reputation
-Include Swift springs (YCW Engineering owns Swift and MFactory)
-Lifetime warranty on non-wear parts
CONS:
-Not Ohlins
-Generic parts
-Absurd price point without discount

3. Fortune Auto 500 Series
$1474
PROS:
-Local facility (VA) for spare parts/rebuilds
-Well-rated and well-used by other car makes/models
-Long-ish warranty (5 years)
CONS:
-Little to no info specific to E8x/E9x
-Generic parts

Edit 03/20/19: Removed KW's from consideration, shuffled YCW's to second place, switched FA 510's for 500's because of ride quality issues with the 510's.

It's a possibility that going with one of the less costly products would allow me to do other things to the car (full 1M front end? exhaust?).

I appreciate any input you can offer. Please no needless bashing of other brands or other people's setups, as everyone wants something different from their cars.

Last edited by chris_flies; 03-20-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0