12-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #40
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bung206 View Post
My car is a Oct 2010 build (2011 MY, N55) and doesn't seem to have any of these issues everyone complains about.

I was really concerned I'd hate it (after having done extensive research before hand) but really it is fine! Maybe you guys set my expectations so hilairously low that I thought it was the best thing ever once I got it?

It is not PERFECT - it behaves similar to how a M/T car would. As in - if you are slowing for the lights and almost at a complete stop but then the lights turn green and you step on the throttle, there will definitely be some hesitation there.

I can also feel the clutch engaging and then again when its fully out when I take off "slowly" from the lights. Just like a M/T car

Are you guys expecting torque converter like behaviour? Basically stand on the pedal and it accelerates gently no matter what? Ain't gonna get that with a clutch based drive train. Has anyone documented this DCT "delay" in a video? Or is these one of those "butt dyno" style things?

Also lastly, I'd like to try some of these "software updates" on my car but can it be rolled back if it goes to shit?
I drove a manual transmission for over 20 years before my 135 with the DCT so I know that there's some delay/hesitation on a manual. However, the DCT lag that people are talking about is a hesitation like a loss of power for about a full second upon pressing on the accelerator. I know that doesn't sound like a long time but when you're trying to merge or turn onto a busy street, it's not only irritating but dangerous. It's definitely not normal. Luckily, with the software update, that lag is totally gone now.