09-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #205
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I don't necessary think it is necessary to have an engine based on an existing ///M, if any of those engine is not going to do as good as a job as an engine in the other lineup as a base on the current 1er. However, I think you are right about it needs to be ///M modified to be worthy of an ///M power badge, and I think it is going to be the manifold. To me a spec up IS without any parts change on the engine itself is not worthy to be called ///1M, 135///M at best because of the track, suspension and LSD treatment.

I really do think that BMW will make the 1///M worthy of its name though.
+1 Fingers crossed... I also worry that if this car is too half-assed and seen as "not a real ///M car" that resale value will suffer and that enthusiasts will be constantly having to defend the car to those both in the BMW family and other marques. (If you're puffing your chest out right now and telling yourself that those things don't matter, you're full of $hit.)

I really hope that BMW doesn't screw this up as it will tarnish the ///M brand and the 1 series line. I believe in Dr. Kay. I hope I'm not being naive, but I really don't think they'll let something out the door that is less than stellar. The "no dogmas" thing scares me a bit though, as it sounds like a way for them to rationalize.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0