View Single Post
      06-20-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Third 1er's the charm? 135i -> 1M Conversion!

Current:

What are the current mods on the 1er?

Engine
- JB4 G5 ISO/MHD Tune
- Stett Chargepipe w/ Synapse BOV
- Big Tom Intercooler
- BMS Dual Cone Intake
- BMS Oil Catch Can
- BMS Cowl Filters
- BMS 2.3gallon/Cooling Mist Meth Injection Kit
- cp-e Catless Downpipes (Switching to high flow cats later)
- Akrapovic Evolution Titanium Exhaust (Axle + Mids)
- Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator

Suspension
- Complete M3 Suspension Retrofit (Front/Rear/LSD/Brakes) (In progress)
- Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers (135i)
- Vorshlag Camber Plates
- Mason Engineering Strut Brace
- M3 Steering Rack Retrofit
- Forgestar CF-5 Wheels
- APEX PS-7 Wheels

Exterior
- OEM LCI Blackline Taillights
- OEM Euro LCI Headlights
- RZ Hood w/Aerocatch
- RZ Diffuser
- RZ GT Wing
- M4 Style Trunk Spoiler
- RW CF Grilles

Interior
- BMWP Electronic Steering Wheel V2
- OEM ZHP Shift Knob
- BMS SSK (Switching to either UUC or Dinan)
- OEM M3 Cluster
- RZ CF Interior Door Panels (Front)

What are your future mods for the 1er? (Top is priority)
- M3 Coils, Fresh Bushings, possibly sway bar upgrades.
- BBK upgrade
- Additional cooler or upgraded dual oil coolers

I’ll be updating the thread pretty frequently. Feel free to ask questions, or even perhaps if you need help with the conversion process! I probably won’t be of much help, as there’s LOADS of information on the forums! Thanks for reading!!

For more photos of the current car, and future, follow my Instagram, @IAMHNRY!

It’s been a long time since I’ve worked on my build thread! So much has happened, and I’ve learned so much about the car in the past few years! To quickly summarize my history, it started with a 2009 AW 128i that I purchased back in 2013. It was my first BMW, and I had no idea what kind of world I was getting myself into. The car was bone stock, and I had no idea what I wanted to do with it (other than to DD it).

Fast forward 6 months later, I wanted to upgrade, so I traded the 128i in for the 135i (Old Build Thread - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881797).

I ended up getting the same colored car, now with the turbo . It also had a couple of nice aesthetic pieces, and I just absolutely loved the drive. I guess this is where I really started getting deep into the modding/maintenance on the vehicle. Car had basic bolt on mods, 19” 313s, with some nice CF bits. I’ve dealt with the infamous WP failure, oil leaks, boost leaks, starting issues, *etc*… haha! It was a great learning experience, and I’ve had the car since until Oct 2015.

Some lady in her Q5 decides to not yield, makes the turn going at least 40MPH, and then rams into me as I slam on my brakes.

That was my first accident and I face-planted myself into the airbag. Thankfully, I came out with no scratches or bruises, maybe a little bit of neck/back pain. All the work that I’ve been putting into the car, whether it was maintaining or modding, was just gone down the drain in an instant. Insurance claimed it as a total loss (frame damage/airbag deploying), and I was out of a 1er. This literally happened 1 week later after I picked up an Abarth too…..

Now I was not planning on getting another 1er (at that time, wait for the M2 or something else). But I found a deal that I could not resist, and for the price, it was a STEAL! I’ll just say that the car was FBO track prepped with low mileage!

I actually found out that the 1st owner was a 1addict member . The car lived in Germany for the entire time, and was shipped to the US. From what I’ve researched, the car was driven hard, thanks Dackelone for the heads up :P. Now, before flaming me, normally I wouldn’t prefer purchasing a car that was heavily modded or driven hard. But learning from my past car, I was pretty confident in my DIY skills, hah. Luckily, there was a mod/maintenance list, so that gave me an idea on how the car was taken care of. I picked up the car, drove it back, and I have to say, I was very impressed! Originally, I had the intention of flipping the car, but that 17 hour drive convinced me not too! The car was already FBO, and I was pretty happy with the amount of power it was already making. There were very little things that I did to the car.

TL;DR – Purchased a AW 128i, traded in for a AW 135i 6 months later, got totaled by someone 2 years later, bought another JB 135i 1 month after, got hit recently, and now…

Onto the fun part… I’ve been eyeing the 1M conversion project for a long time (since the white 135i), and of course, it was just too damn expensive. I guess you can say that I was very inspired by the other builds (ilikebmxbikes, chen, venom, tun3d, uberschnell, 1littlemonster, etc.) I was actually in the process of saving up/crunching numbers, and until last month, something magical happened. I was swapping out my headlights, and some guy just reverses into my car. He hit the car hard enough where it launched it 3-4 feet forward. The bumper was cracked, and my diffuser was hit as well  (Check out my FS thread!). I was able to get a decent amount from insurance, and now that 1M conversion seemed very tempting! I started to get quotes from multiple dealerships + bodyshops. I did find a place that did quality work for a very reasonable price. Originally, I was going to do a custom fabrication for the rear quarterpanel, but now, I’ll be ordering the 1M quarterpanels!

So what’s the current status on the conversion? So far, I’ve placed an order for all the 1M bits through my local dealer (Shoutout to ice7 & Jose@BMWofFairfax!). I actually picked up some parts this past weekend, and I’d like to give a big thanks to @chenchen, tommyfyeah , Xaeryan , and AriKoRN for the local meetup + parts! I was able to source the tires, wheels, M3 steering rack, side markers, fenders, sideskirts, 1 quarterpanel, exhaust, and the battery tray/hoses!!! Also ordered a diffuser! This will definitely save some time, as I can install some of these, while I “patiently” wait for the other parts to come in. I would also like to give a big thanks to ilikebmxbikes , @chenchen, TUN3D (DIY Guides), for all the advice and information!

Car is torn apart front/rear, hehe.

Also here is my part-out thread! http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272562

Last edited by nacaruh; 04-19-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
Matticus913474.50
Bimmer TV125.00