View Single Post
      04-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Way to get Castrol 0-40 European formula

My local Walmart was out of the 5 qt jugs of Castrol 0-40 that used to meet BMWs LL-01 designation. So I googled it and found that I could buy from Walmart and have it delivered to the house for the same $25 and change price it normally is in the stores - for a 5 qt jug. But you have to buy $35 of merchandise to get free shipping. Not hard for me to add another $10 of stuff I want from Walmart. So I ordered the oil and some towels and had them in 2 days. Good alternative.

But then I learned that Castrol is no longer LL-01 rated. It still says it is on the Walmart website but if you go to the Castrol website it does not claim that rating.

Has it gone the way of Mobil 1 0-40 European? Some claimed Mobil 1 changed their oil but I tended to believe the viewpoint that the oil didn't change, BMW just did a deal with Castrol. But if that is what is occurring who is the deal with now. Another viewpoint was that Mobil-1 didn't change but they did not want to submit to BMW's testing or something like that.

Anybody know?