10-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #32
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
I can appreciate all the work you've put in to your car. Looks great!

I'm curious about fuel mixing in the gas tank.
Do you find that your ethanol content changes as you drive after refueling, or approach empty on a tank? Or is it pretty consistent between fill-ups?
I appreciate the kind words and thanks for checking out my build.

As far as fuel mixing goes, I've been paying very close attention to the content ever since installing the ethanol sensor.

Hypothetically, if I pulled into a gas station with a few gallons of only 93 octane gasoline in the tank and my ethanol content reading around E10 on the JB4 app, here's how things would happen:

I would then fill whatever ratio of E85 and 93 octane I was shooting for, which is typically E40 at the current moment. Steve from Fuel-It has confirmed that the two fuels in the tank mix together almost instantly because of the return lines that are constantly moving fuel around within the tanks and pumps. You'll understand this first hand if you've ever swapped out a fuel pump on this platform.

After completing the fill up and firing back up the engine, it's only a matter of time before the existing pure 93 octane in the fuel lines remaining from when I pulled up to the pump, is pushed out and replaced by the new mixture in the tank.

After around 2 minutes of light driving (shifting at around 3,000 RPM), the ratio of ethanol will begin rising from E10 to E11 to E12 to E13 and so on until it reaches the new ethanol content of the fuel mixture I just filled up with; usually somewhere around E40. But after 5 minutes or so of driving the ethanol content will stay constant at the E40 number until I fill-up again.

Once the tank of E40 is empty, if I fill up with exactly the same ratio, and there is already E40 in the lines from the prior tank, the ethanol content stays steady at E40.

Hope this answers your questions!
Appreciate 1