View Single Post
      04-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
McReary
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 128i

Day 2

1) Take a look at your trouble bubbles and see if they've gone in or not. Consider reapplying some soap water to places that haven't stuck and apply constant pressure to those areas. Just swiping over with a credit card doesn't work. I found that pushing it down and applying pressure for about 10-20 seconds can solve most of the problems. Just be careful when you drag the card, since stretching and applying pressure can cause rippage...

2) For those stubborn trouble bubbles, take a safety pin and pop a small hole in the center of it. Then flatten it out with your fingers. Should do the trick.

3) This was my first time doing ANYTHING vinyl, let alone on such a tough shape. Second time around, I'd take the advice I placed here and make it pretty near perfect. So, considering this as my first time, I don't find it too bad. In the future, I plan on redoing it to make it look professional, which would be easy for me, now that I know what I'm doing . Pitfalls are, for example, cutting too short, not stretching to match the curve, the small slit for the fin to make it easier, and toweling the card so it wouldn't scratch the vinyl...

I'm aware of the fin sticking out as white. I've contemplated doing the fin black vinyl too, but oddly I like the little accent the white fin gives. I love how it looks, and know a 2nd attempt would make this look perfect. Sorry I took the pictures so poorly, and I didn't wash the car or the vinyl, so it looks kind of dirty...

Now to finally get some work done next weekend on my H&R sports springs. Then tint and a xenon conversion and I'm done!

Oh, and besides the fin, there's also that column/row that goes all the way from front to back along the edges of your roof (It's between your roof and the top of the door. its the columns where the x are in this ghetto diagram

............front..............
|x|.........................|x|
|x|......[sunroof].......|x|
|x|........[roof].........|x|
.............rear..............

Its the column where your ski rack mounts go. I personally just was a bit lazy and vinyled over them and made an indent to show it is there with my credit card. If you were an aspiring vinylist, then you can go ahead and make the cut and tuck them in separately...

EDIT: You can pop out these side railings and individually vinyl them. That way, you can tuck in the roof vinyl under the pop-out railing. In this case, you can adjust the roof cuts accordingly so that there's enough to fit under the railing rather than the whole roof including over the railings like I first did.

Forgot to mention:
The vinyl is completely removable and won't leave a mark on your paint. It'll last at least 2 years up to 5 years. It's a cheap alternative to getting a paintjob! What do you guys think of the fin? My bro came over and said it stuck out too much =[...

Last edited by McReary; 04-13-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0